Reaney Days

Reaney Days

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

5th grade Class Visit



Our last class visitors for the year were the 5th grade students of Mrs. Etherton, Mrs. Brundage and Mrs. Oppenheimer.
About 60 strong, they created rather a stir for Trustees Sharon Fuller and Mat Rapacz. I took the AC off “energy saver” to accommodate the rising temperature of their excitement!
I got to say hello to many pals, some of who I have known since they were tiny tots.

It was also nice to see Mrs. Oppenheimer who I’ve not had a chance to say hello to since she brought her children to the library when they were young. Wow, time does fly!

My trustees reported that the kids asked lots of great questions and seemed very knowledgeable about some of the museum artifacts. A couple of young men impressed Mrs. Fuller when looking at the World War I & II displays. Mat Rapacz commented how many in his group were interested in the paintings and sculpture.

Towards the end of the visit, I chatted with some kids in the Reaney Memorial Room. One young man asked me if a large doll, under a glass dome, was haunted! Apparently he thought it was moving! I assured him, with all the children walking by it, the case was moving and NOT the doll.

The absolute best line of the day? I pointed out that one of the French baby dolls had a wax head. One young lady, who was apparently reading the doll’s description, asked me what “kidskin" was. I explained that it was goat leather. She looked so relieved I just had to ask, “Did you think they had skinned an actual KID?” It would seem so! Oh my goodness, the handful of kids I had been visiting with, including the young lady, and I all had a good laugh.

Click on the link for a taste of our museum collections. One of the photos is of the doll mentioned above. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment