Reaney Days

Reaney Days

Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day 2017

One of our veterans, Mr. Harold Wadin, has for years teased me about my Memorial Day speeches. He'll say something along the lines of "Keep it short, Dawn, it's 98" degrees in the shade" or "Don't forget, we're growing older as we stand here."
On this rainy day, my speech was reduced to 3 paragraphs due to the downpouring rain. I didn't see Harold in the park but ran into him on the way home. I pulled over and called out to him "Harold, how did you like that speech? Less than a minute!" He grabbed my hand and gave me a big smile and told me he would buy me a hamburger at the Legion. It made my day.
God bless the men and women who have ,across the generations, battled all sorts of weather, as well as the enemy, in the name of freedom. Who are we to complain when a few drops of rain fall on our parade?



No comments:

Post a Comment