Reaney Days

Reaney Days

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Fairytale Come to Life

We had an unexpectedly sweet story come out of this year’s Flapjacks and Fairytales. The night before, I received a covert telephone call from Cathy Miles asking if I knew of the recent tradition of over the top prom invitations. I have seen where these invitations range from sky writing to singing telegrams but had never been a part of one. Cathy wondered if I was game to help out her grandson Ross. Always enjoying the unexpected I was more than happy to be a part of it. Cathy and her husband Ron, along with many members of their family, Ross included have been tremendous supporters of the library and great kitchen help for the last 10 years of Flapjacks and Fairytales. It was arranged that a special “basket” would be slipped in among the many baskets to be raffled. The plan then called for me to announce the “winner” whereby Ross would come out and invite the young lady to their prom. When the moment finally arrived there were some confused looks by those helping with the basket drawing; the basket had no number and therefore there was no record of it. I was the only one who knew what was going on. I calmly held the “Some Enchanted Evening” basket aloft and announced the winner as Ali Teneyck. Once Ali came forward, Ross Miles popped out from the other room with a lovely bouquet of flowers in hand and a sign asking her to the prom. She, of course, said “yes”. It was a charming and a very special moment marking our 10th annual event; a fairytale come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment