Reaney Days

Reaney Days

Friday, March 22, 2013

So Much Fun!

Today was a day filled with lots of giggles and wiggles:)  I had been invited to do some storytelling at the Ryder Elementary School in Cobleskill; part of the Cobleskill-Richmondville School District.
The occasion was the ending of their annual PARP program (parents as reading partners).  I was scheduled for 4-20  minute sessions; pre-K to grade 2.  A big shout out to Rebecca Sokol for providing transport and moral support.  Becky's two grandchildren are students there and her daughter Sarah recommended me. 
So what did we do exactly?  Each segment opened up with the wiggle dance; an absolute crazy conglomeration of wild dance moves set to the music of River Dance. Why? to get the wiggles out so that everyone can listen quietly.  Works like a charm every time. 
I then told a story called Lizard's Song and finished up with a call and response story called Let's Go on a Bear Hunt.  Oh my word, those kids were just so much fun and really seemed to enjoy themselves.  In a couple of groups we also spoke briefly about taking care of books and what poses the MOST danger to a book.  Responses varied with bears, fire and water among the answers.  WRONG!  Babies are the most dangerous.  As I explained babies like to chew on books, tear the pages, frequently spit up and most horrible of all......diapers sometimes FAIL.  Oh Lord, just the mere mention of a poopy diaper sent my audience into a fit of laughter. Of course, I added that it was very important to share books and read to babies because we want them to grow up to be readers!  I had an absolutely great time; a wonderful way to almost end the work week.
Happy Friday!
PS…I also asked if they ever read to other family members or pets.  One little girl told me that she read to her gold fish but that they kept running away.  I told her to keep reading because even when they were swimming they could still hear her.

No comments:

Post a Comment